This mornings start to the day was interesting. Got the kids off to school...and the Farmer headed to the barn to milk the ladies. I sat down to finish my cup of coffee and look at ordering a pig heat mat.
It wasn't a more then a minute before I heard...the doorbell ring once and the door slam open... and the farmer yelling, "GET OUT HERE NOW!!!!"
I scrambled to get my boots and coat on and ran out the door...only to see Matilda's brand new pig house fully engulfed in flames. My first thought was, WHERE IS MATILDA? She due to have babies any day now.
Matilda jumped the fence. Now where was she? Was she okay? We had to find a hose that wasn't frozen and long enough to reach. It took me awhile until it was out. You see we just built this pig house for her. The pig house was fully insulated and doubled walled so when it burned it went quickly. Fires out now, where is Matilda?
I received a text from the neighbor and they called the farmer. We are very blessed to have great neighbors. Matilda was happy to see me, or maybe, it was the bucket I was carrying. I was happy and relieved to see her alive. She has a temporary home now in with the calves.
Matilda has some singed hair and burns on her ears, but overall she is okay. She was happy to be snuggled in the warm straw.
Yes, that happened on St. Patrick's Day! A few weeks ago, Matilda moved into a brand new house and forgot to buy homeowners insurance. Her house burned to the ground today. She has moved into a temporary women's shelter. She is still alive, there is hope. She now needs to build a gofund me page...cause she can't afford to build another house.
Moral of this story is use heated pig mats not heat lamp in the new pig house. Cause it sucks to watch hard work and money burn to the ground. The blessing is that Matilda survived!